Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low resolution/colour after format

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittenclaws

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
AU
Hi

I just formatted my computer, and am now stuck in 640x480, 16 colour resolution.
I selectd my monitor, "MITSUBISHI Diamond Pro 15FS", but didn't change.
The graphics adapter installed by windows is "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)". I konw I probably have to install the graphics card, however I have no idea what it is called.
Is there a way to find out, or can I use a generic adapter to display with higher resolution and colour depth?

A generic adapter will not allow the full use of your graphics card's capabilities.
If you don't know what kind of video card you have, open up your case and look. Most cards have identifing information printed on them.

Open the case and look? Powerstrip ( - shareware, but runs with nag screen might help. Sisoft Sandra tool displays details of computer hardware - might recognise you card. Manufacturer's sites often have downloadable utility which recognises their cards - so if you knew what type (Matrox etc)...
PS. Lesson for the future - before reformatting, make sure you have drivers for all your hardware devices to hand in case Windows doesn't.

On powerup you will probably see a splash screen for the video chip/card. But it comes up so fast that monitor might not be up when it displays if off for more than 2 or 3 seconds.
Think belarc advisor might do the job, but not sure.
You could also go programs,msdos, then debug , then d c800:0000 or d c800:0080 and see if the info was put in what seems to be a standard location. q to exit debug.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. After having the same monitor for 5 years and never getting it to run on a higher res than 1024x768, I'd formatted my hard drive, installed Windows 98 and let it choose the monitor/video drivers. I then installed the latest drivers for the NVIDIA graphics card I have (2 1/2 yrs old) and can now run at MUCH higher resolutions. I didn't know that was possible with drivers. I thought monitors had limits. I learned something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back