Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Profile PCI Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainshane

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
Can anyone suggest a good low profile PCI video card please? I've searched and can find low profile AGP, regular profile PCI, but not Low profile PCI, which is what I need. Preferably a 64MB or better. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Signed
Struggling Gamer

I would suggest you read this former posting:

thread749-430311 were seeking the same thing you are.

Good luck!

A whole lot of the informative threads on Make/model and where to purchase are now gone from that thread, as I posted several there once upon a time. I have a flexATX motherboard in a notebook IBM case. Super small, but needs all low profile cards, with no AGP slot on the board.
I ended up getting a gainward powerpack pro 450/tv, cause I wanted s-video out to watch divx movies and such on my 36" TV. It did not come with the bracket, but I got the company to send me one for free.
Here is an AOPEN PCI geforce440-se w/ tv out : $48.99 = shipping.

This is the one I bought and have no probs with. It plays Quake3, Neverwinter Nights, and Unreal II with no problems as long as I don't max out my resolution. You may need to write Gainward for the low profile bracket, or get a dremel and mod a blank if you are handy.

You'll need this bracket - bracket 3002 when writing Gainward:

And the card will eventually look like this:

Enjoy!

Thanks you guys for your help. I ended up purchasing the 64MB card from directron.com. Pitlover, you mentioned that a 3002 bracket worked for yours. Will Gainward sell me the same bracket? When you say write to them I assume you meant electronically, right? Through their support or something? Thanks again.

I would hope that your Aopen card comes with the low profile bracket.(Because I found it via the low profile link on their website) For example, I installed a Matrox 550 AGP the other day, and the low profile bracket was included, just in case...
Aopen is a reputable company, so you you shouldn't have any problems acquiring one by directing their tech support to that page or giving them Part NO. 91.05210.4S3 and babble something about needing the low profile bracket.

I got Gainward to send me mine by shooting them (support@gainwardusa.com) off that picture of the bracket, and explaining that I needed it for the geforce4 powerpackPRO 450/tv PCI. It threw them for a loop at first, because that bracket is only included with the AGP versions. I did enough research on my own to figure that it would fit, and it did.
They ended up sending the bracket for free, and did not even ask for proof of purchase.

If all else fails, ask Directron. They market it as "Convertible to Low-Profile". They should be able to back that up!

By the way, you can't easily modify existing full height brackets with a dremel or something. The little slot where you would normally screw the card in for stability faces the opposite direction in the half height brackets.

Thanks for the infor Pitlover, The AOpen card did come with a low-profile bracket...works great!

Glad to hear it Captain... and though something went haywire with my registration and I can no longer post as pitlover...It's still me.
I have the same geforce4 chipset on my gainward card, and it's made all the difference in the world for games. Unreal tournament and quake type games play just fine and the real bonus is having a PC small enough to hide in the entertainment center and play divx movies on my 36" tv.
It's as small as my dvd player, and will play far more movie formats including dvd. A wireless keyboard & trackball for it seal the deal.
Most 64mb cards still clock faster than their 128mb couterparts anyway...

Enjoy yours!

Not to steal the thread or anything but do they make AGP low profile cards that are nvidia g force 4 fx or mx cards that are 64mb or 128mb? If so are they alot more than regular sized cards? Where can i get them. I typed in low profle card on ebay and nothing happened. I need model #'s!!!
Thanks,
John

Three low profile AGP cards here:

Looks like 2 Aopen cards, and a Gainward.
There is another PCI low profile listed here (that I recommended to captainshane under the guise of pitlover), so make sure you are getting info for the right one.

Newegg.com is also a very good place to order from.
I saw the both geforce4 MX series and geforceFX 5200 in low profile versions including low profile brackets there. In both 64mb and 128mb flavors:

EVGA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR 8X AGP, Model 128-A8-N310-LX
or
EVGA GeForce FX 5200 64MB DDR 8X AGP, Model 064-A8-N300-LX

go to click on "advanced search"
search in "video cards" for "low profile"

Price range is $30 for an outdated ATI, up to $75 for the 128mb 5200FX series. Do yourself a favor and ignore the ATI card.

MSI also makes a 128mb fx5200 low profile card, though I can't find a vendor.Maybe they dont make it anymore?
model # FX5200-T128

Good Luck!
and gimme my star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back