Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Performing / High Impact / Long Running Queries (Teradata)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj Aryan

Programmer
Jun 12, 2018
IN
Hi Folks,

First off, let me start by saying that this question has probably been around for long. However, since I am new to Teradata I am requesting some help from you to achieve my goal.

That been said, I am trying to build a query that will show the top 10 worst performing /long-running queries for a given time-frame (usually in the past). I already did some reading online and came up with few metrics that might help identify such queries :-

SQL:
SELECT    
UserName,
LogDate,
QueryID,
StartTime,
FirstRespTime,
((FirstRespTime - StartTime) HOUR(4) TO SECOND(2)) AS ElapsedTime,
((FirstRespTime - FirstStepTime) HOUR(4) TO SECOND(2)) AS EexecutionTime,
(FirstRespTime - StartTime) HOUR to SECOND(4) AS FirstRespElapsedTime,
ParserCPUTime,
AMPCPUTime,
AMPCPUTime + ParserCPUTime AS TotalCPUTime,
SpoolUsage/(1024*1024*1024) AS Spool_GB,
(MaxAMPCPUTime) * (HASHAMP() + 1) AS ImpactCPU
CAST(100-(nullifzero(AMPCPUTime/HASHAMP() + 1) * 100 /nullifzero(MaxAMPCPUTime)) AS INTEGER ) AS "CPUSkew%",
TotalIOCount,
MaxAMPIO * (HASHAMP() + 1) AS ImpactIO,
CAST(100-((TotalIOCount/HASHAMP() + 1) * 100 /nullifzero(MaxAMPIO)) AS INTEGER ) AS "IOSkew%",
QueryText
FROM pdcrinfo.<tables>
WHERE
logdate BETWEEN <input start-date> AND <input end-date>
AND
AMPCPUTime > 0

However, I am still struggling with the following outstanding questions -

[ul]
[li]Did I get the calculations shown above accurate ?[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Does the above list of metrics suffice ? Or, are there any additional metric(s) that need to be included in the above list as well ?[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]I am bit confused with the ImpactCPU metric calculation logic. Apart from the one mentioned above, I found another logic as[/li]
Code:
ImpactCPU = (max_vproc_CPU * number of vprocs)

Please indicate the correct one.
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Kindly let me know the history tables to use (in dbql_hst/pdcrinfo etc)[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Finally, what logic should I apply to combine all these metrics into one to identify the top 10 ?[/li]
[/ul]

We are using Teradata v14.1

Any help is highly appreciated. Please let me know if additional information is necessary.

Cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back