Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low on virtual Memory 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKProgrammer

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
CA
Hello All,

My CPU is Window$ 2000 pro, 1.5G, 768Mb Ram, 80 Gig HD with 40 Gig unused. I can shutdown my cpu and when it restarts my computer will be fine for a few hours, or if I just leave it running for a half a day and then come back and try to use the computer I start receiving weird errors. The errors say something along the lines of "Your computer is too low on virtual memory to run this application". My IE will also not open alot of pages when these errors happen and I am forced to restart my computer again, then the cycle starts over.

I have checked the settings in the control panel for the page file size and they are set to the following: 1524 -3048 which I have been told is OK. I also tried the following from something I found from a previous post on this website that didn't help:

How to clear:

By default, the Clear virtual memory pagefile when system shuts down group policy setting is turned off in Windows 2000. To change this setting on the server:
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Administrative Tools.
3. Double-click Local Security Policy.
4. Double-click Local Policies.
5. Click Security Options.
6. Look in the right column for Shutdown:Clear virtual memory pagefile
7. Enable to blank out pagefile.sys,disable to get your shutdown speed back

Can somebody please help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
gkprogrammer

Sounds like it could be a memory leak. What applications are running typically ? Are your Service Packs up to date ?

These problems can be tough to track down. If you are familiar with the Windows System Monitor you can monitor the Process > Working Set counter, look at each of the running processes over a period of time when the machine is idle. Ordinarily, the counter value should remain fairly constant. The odd jump up or down is normal. If you see one process that increases over time (and does not go back down) this process could be your culprit.

I would try re-applying the most recent Service Pack first and check Windows Update to see if there are any application patches out there.

Definitely scan your system for viruses, as memory consumption can be one of their characteristics.

Hope this helps.

SL

Hi SL,
I have installed SP4, scanned for viruses and tried to track any applications using excessive amounts of memory but with no success. Thanks for your post but do you have any other ideas?

Hi Zelko,
I don't think it is this virus, if I remember correctly the main thing with this virus is the computer reboots by itself which is not the case here. I am forced to reboot manually so my virtual memory will be cleared and I will once again be able to open programs, thanks for trying though.

Any other ideas would help, thanks.

Regards,
gkprogrammer

GKP,

Does your drive have a single partition ? I'm wondering if this could be a corrupt pagefile. You could test this by deleting the original swapfile (setting it to zero) and moving it to another partition (it's better when it's not in the same partition as the OS).

This used to happen a lot under Win9.x but I've only seen it once on a Win2K system.

Regards.

SL

Hi Zelko,

It turned out that you were absolutely correct. I scanned my computer with an updated version of anti-virus and the MSblast utility supplied by Sympateco but still no virus found. I decided that I would install the patch for this virus that is supplied by Micro$oft anyway and low and behold it worked. Thanks for your help you deserve a star as well does SL for all your help. Thanks Again.

Regards,
gkprogrammer

GKP,

I'm glad to hear that you resolved the issue successfully and my thanks for the *.

Regards.
SL

Can you tell me where to find the patch for msblast virus?
I can't find it
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back