Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOW DISK SPACE AFFECTING EXCHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

connerintel

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2003
US
My C drive ocassionally gets down to 10Mb, which causes MTA service to stop. I've cleared out as much space as I can on the drive, short of compressing. Can anyone advise me of a way to alleviate this problem. I'm considering reloading onto a different partition, but would rather not. What to do?

if you have disk space on another drive/partition, or if you can add another disk, you can use the performance optimizer to move the databases for you.

Low diskspace is realy bad for exchange.
If you get some load on the server, it may couse that exchange can not write all transaction logs to the database and you will end up with a inconcistent database.
Only solution then is to repare the database and that is allmost simular to dataloss.

brontosaurus has the correct solution. Add a disk and move the database.

There is possible a budget solution as well.
If you delete large amount of mail from the store and make a offline defrag the database will free diskspace.
You can check event id 2112 (or is it 1221) to see how mutch free space you have.
Stop Information Store Service.
Then run eseutil to deftag the database.
Note: You need 110% of database file, free diskspace on other partision or server for temporary files while defragging.
This is very time consuming, but might be a good solution if the low diskspace is caused by a virus-attack or a other temporary load.

// Wibbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back