Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low cost remote control software for remote support

Status
Not open for further replies.

outonalimb

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Does anyone know of a low (ish) cost program that will allow me to connect easily to remote computers to provide technical support. I need something like VNC so I can show users how to do something. VNC doesn't play well across NAT routers without configuration at the remote end - skills which the users usually don't have.

I will be connecting to many different computers so it needs to be flexible enough to allow me to do that.

I have checked out but just wondered if anyone recommended anything else out there.

Regards,

Second Dameware. Can be installed, started & stoped remotely...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I use logmein rescue (about £40 per month) very good, free trial too. I have used a few others but this is the best I have come accross.

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

- Tech forum dedicated Google search, find answers faster by not searching the junk.

GoToMyPC works very well, but is not cheap (abt USD 65/mo, I believe). It is Citrix-based and full featured and handles dynamic IP addresses very well.

Installation is straightforward, but the host end has to be technical enough to handle 2 levels of password authentication (one for the account, the second for machine access).

I also use VNC but have the host user connect to me by IP address while I run a listening VNC viewer. Since they initiate the connection that avoids a lot of configuration issues as the VNC port can be customized.

Jock

We use webex for remote access as you can share the desktop and file transfer.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

I would recommend Dameware. It is a one time fee and it doesn't cost any more for each workstation you add. The cost of the software is based on the number of Admins who are going to be using it, NOT the number of machines you need to access.

It supports encryption on both ends and doesn't have to be running at all times. You can start it and stop the service as needed.

I use PCHelpware. It's free and uses VNC, but you don't need to do any configuration settings on your remote user's PC, router or know what their public IP address is. All the configuration is done at your location and your router. In a nutshell, you use the software to create an .exe that you distribute to your remote users. That's it. On your end, you need to configure your router to pass traffic through to your PC where the "server" side runs.

When the remote user needs assistance, you launch the "server" software and have it start listening for incoming connections. The remote user launches the client that you gave him/her and it automatically connects to your PC.

It's pretty slick.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back