Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low cost network and system maanagement software

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStephan

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
DE
Hi,

I have now a new project on work, I have to find and test etc. network management and system mangement software that is maybee GPL'd :) or has a relative small price.

In our headquarter we are using Spectrum and Patrol, but for our subsidiaries that are equiped with less than 20 servers theese solutions are to expansive to use. So my task is to find less featured tools with a more reasonable price for them.

I only want to ask you, if you can provide me some names and maybe some experiences with such softwares. This would help me a lot, because I have no idea where to look.

Thank You very much in advance

Kind regards

Stephan

Check this link:

There are some basic tools, some of them do basic snmp monitoring, some are a little bit more sophisticated and allow you to define alerts ....

Jim Davis
myCMDB.com
<How do you document your infrastructure?>
Network Inventory and Configuration Mgmt.

I have not tried this one yet, but it looks very promising.

From the site:

JFFNMS is a Network Management and Monitoring System designed to monitor a IP SNMP / Syslog / Tacacs+ Network. It can be used to monitor any standards compilant SNMP device, Server, Router, TCP port or anything you want, if you write a custom poller, we also provide some Cisco focused features.

* Written in PHP (Works on Linux, FreeBSD and Win2K/XP)
* Status Map, gives you a quick look of your network
* Events Console, shows all kinds of events in the same time-ordered display
* Performance Graphs for everything, Interface Traffic, Errors, CPU Usage, etc.
* Database Backend (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
* Integrated Syslog Logging and Tacacs+ Authentication and Accounting
* Free, licensed under the GPL
* More Features

Hope it helps

-PJC

======
Paul
Network Admin, CCNA

We have small network 1 server win 2000 and a mix of win 2000 pro and win xp proworkstations. I have been Resource Monitor. I can stop use of specific progrgams. Monitor web usage. take screen shots every 30 second to 5 minutes. Stop internet completely, allow only certain sites. This sofware is much cheaper than most. The only problem it doesn't monitor network traffic. check it out a They also have great support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back