Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Cost KVM over IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie321

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi

I am looking for a single machine kvm over IP device.

It does not need to provide a secure connection, but low cost is a priority.

Thanks B

one solution is a remote control kinda thing.

Remote desktop comes free with XP, it's not exactly remote control, but on workstation computers it can work that way. What happens is you connect to the computer that you want to KVM with and it will let you control that computer as though you were at it. If you maximize the remote desktop window it's almost like you're actually at the computer. Over a cable connection there is a slight delay, but if the computers are on the same network you won't even realize you are connected. I have it set up on my network so that my servers only need a network cable plugged into them, only one computer has a keyboard, monitor and mouse plugged into it.

to enable right click my computer, click properties, go to the remote tab and make sure "allow users to connect to my computer remotely" then click on select remote users and allow access to the users that you want to allow to connect.

there is a version of this for earlier versions of windows called Terminal Services. I'm not sure if the server version is free, but the client is.

alternatively there are programs that actually control the computer like VNC and PCAnywhere. VNC is free, and works well over a LAN.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back