Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

macphoneguy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
US
I have a Modem Pool that the connection speeds are pretty consistintly in the 24K range. (the calls are generally local calls within the area code) Since they are qwest lines and they will not guarentee any particular connection speed, I remember something from the 80's about adding a variable capacitor accross Tip and Ring and you would adjust the Capacitor accordingly or is there something else short of forking more money over to qwest?

I suspect that you are experiencing a condition where the circuits performing more than 1 Analog/Digital (A/D) conversion. In this case there is nothing that you can do. V.9x speeds require that there only be one A/D conversion in the circuit. If you have analog modems on both ends, that is impossible. If you convert your modem pool to use a T1 directly into a router (or something like an AS53xx) then you can improve your speeds. This is only cost effective for large modem pools, typically more than 10 modems in the pool.

Frankly, 24K consistently between two analog modems is pretty good.

pansophic

yeah Pansophic is correct. Also keep in mind that the telco only has to provide you a certain amount of bandwith and anything overthat is free bandwith that you aren't paying for.

to help answer some questions you might have please take a look at this web site.

hope this might shed some light on your issue

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back