Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikaWhat

Technical User
May 19, 2005
CY
Hi, people

I've got a problem with low bandwidth which causes slow downloads and any other activities. I've got an ADSL 1mb connection, using a modem provided by ISP (only 1 slot enabled), and a router to share the connection to other pcs at home. Even when only one pc is on, the connection is really slow. I was wondering if the use of a modem that is also a router and a firewall could help. Thanx in advance.

Is it slow all the time, or just at "peak" periods? Try doing a speed test when you think other local BB users are tucked up in bed, and then another at one of the "peak" times. What are your line stats like? SNR, Attenuation etc. Is it still slow if you plug the modem directly into the Master socket without any phones or extension wiring connected?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back