Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Aggregate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillithium

Technical User
Dec 9, 2000
NL
Hi,

I have a problem with long backuptime on some of my NT clients. One of my NT clients takes about 20 hours to backup 300 to 400 MB. This client uses version 4.1 and because of the large amount of small files it contains ( about 6 million)and very high directory depth, i use journalbased backup on it.

When I look at my network transfer rate after backup, the rate is about 17000 to 18000 kb. But my aggregate is very very low ( about 4 to 5 KB ). Please help me fix this problem.

Hey Trillithium,

I know this has been some time since you posted this thread, but I hope someone pointed you to a bad Network Interface Card as a probable cause. We were having the same problem on one of our UNIX clients. If you found a different solution, please update us.

JMS

Hi, thanx for your response. As said it already, it has been a long time since i posted the question. In the time between I have located the problem. There were two reasons why the aggregate was so low. First one:

All our switches are configured static on 100 full duplex. But our ethernet adapters were on autoneg. By putting them also hard to 100 full the transferrate increased gigantic.

Second:

The server we were trying to backup had a directory as large as 200 to 400 subs. De processor of this server could not process the file scanning. Sollution: we migrated the server to a bigger one with more CPU and memory power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back