Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loudspeaker Paging on Merlin Magix

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvwbecker

Technical User
Nov 13, 2019
US
Working on a Merlin Magix system with an external Bogen amp for PA announcements. In WinSPM, Loudspeaker Paging is set up on 814, 815, and 824.

About a week ago, the PA system stopped working. When a user hits the paging button on phones (#9824), they get a couple of short beeps, hit 00 for all zones, get a single tone on the handset, but nothing on the speakers. No broadcast to phones, no broadcast to external PA system.

In the past (I'm told), user hits paging button, gets a single tone (both handset and external PA speakers) and then broadcasts.

I can't identify anything wrong in the programming. We did have an elevator repair guy rewiring the emergency elevator phone in the COM room around the same time this happened... wondering if he could have unplugged something? There's just a single pair running from #824 to the bogen amp, which seems like it should do the trick.

Thanks for any thoughts- I'm new to this legacy system and although I've read and re-read the installation and repair manuals, I'm not finding much helpful.

If they are prompted to input a zone, there's more than an amp in the equation

Good news, the interface from the Magix is a loop-start trunk port. So you can use your butt set to simulate the Magix while you are troubleshooting. Simply going from a trunk port on the Magix to the amplifier's audio input isn't going to work, there needs to be a loop start paging adapter in there, either as part of a Bogem PCM2000, or a UPAM, PagePal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back