Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loud fan! Cheap way to make it run at 75% or 50% rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

touregg

Programmer
Nov 7, 2003
US
I have this loud cpu fan i gave to my sister. It was great for me when it was my system, but she is not going to overclock. So now i want to slow it down a bit. Is there something i could buy from radioshack that could slow this fan down. Maybe voltage limiter or something. Something cheap. under $5

I don't think so...some fans like mine have a Built-In switch which determines 3 settings of RPMs, which can be attached to a free PCI Slot on the case.

touregg
Tie a couple of knotts in the cable lol
Zalmon do an inline resistor but I fear they cost more than $5.
You could give the disconnected 12volt (red fan wire) a yellow PSU 5volt feed but this may be toooooooo drastic and slow the thing down too much.
You could on the other hand just buy a new fan with a lower CFM rating likely under $10
But then how much are cheap heatsink/fan units? also around $10
I know which way I would go.
Be careful in all of this, safe max's below 65C but often the normal is in the low 50's depending on what CPU you have.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Mistake!!!!!
Yellow PSU wires are 12volts
Red are 5volts
Sorry.

What about those molex things you can buy where you get a knob to control how much power goes to your fan? Can't i make something like that on my own? Doesn't any body know how?

touregg
Yes indeedy!
A potentiometer, basicly a rotational switch with variable resistor but!!
The cost would be as much as a new fan.
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back