Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Smartsuite vs. MS Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk2006

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
IN
Please let me know what features sets aside Lotus Smartsuite from the race of Office Suites. Is it better than MS Office?

---------------------------------
Securing a computer system has traditionally been a battle of wits: the penetrator tries to find the holes, and the designer tries to close them. � M.Gosser

Don't know that one is better than the other, do know there's quite a price difference and SmartSuite has a bit different display. Lotus 1-2-3 has been around quite awhile. I've use WordPerfect the longest ['92] followed by Lotus [because a friend had AmiPro] then MS Office.

If price is an issue you might try both Sun StarOffice [last I saw was less than $100] or OpenOffice [free from www.openoffice.org].

In my view 1-2-3 has better database functions than Excel. For instance DSUM can link tables in 1-2-3. Also, the criteria can be contained within the formula rather than by referencing other cells. This makes it easier when you copy to a range.

I also think that graphs are more intuitive in 1-2-3 as are the infoboxes. Otherwise the products are very similar except with regard to price.

Aside from the technical considerations, there is also a real world issue involving products used by co workers and organizations that support you in various ways. If they use MS Office products, you will have to use MS Office to exchange info with them.

I find WordPro 9.7 far, far easier to use than MSWord 2000, and the control of tables, graphics, and page layout in general is much more like a desktop publisher. Had to use Word because of other people's files, but give me WordPro any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back