Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Notes Server will not connect with remote trusted server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnord24

MIS
Sep 18, 2001
US
We are running the r5 clients with a 4.6.7 mail server. I know I should upgrade, however I have other systems that I need to get up and running properly before I haggle with this mess of a mail server.

We work as a design consultant for a company, for which we replicate a database with them. This was up and functioning, until around the 27th of May. Nothing was done to the server on that date, so this is strange.

I can do a trace from the client and connect to the remote server, access is denied, so fine. If I attempt to replicate the database FROM A CLIENT, I see that it connects. I know I need to cross-certify my server.id file, however, when I go to do this from the server (which is the only place the administration client is on), I cannot communicate/find the REMOTE server FROM OUR SERVER. Error is Server is not a known host. The connection to the server exists as a connection document, which I believe to have all the proper information -- however, the trace information shows it checks on each port enabled -- except, not with the proper information, and cannot find server.

I have attempted to add a secondary location for tcp/ip, but it does not allow me the option of the ip address... and even when it does, it comes up with some wierd tracing info.... Where would I check for entries on a 4.6.7 SERVER itself so that it can make this connection?

Here is the error I'm getting from the server...

Determining path to server md350151.mayco.com
Checking normal priority connection records only...
Allowing wild card connection records...
Enabling name service requests and probes...
Requesting address of md350151.mayco.com from Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team on TCPIP
Using address 'Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team' on TCPIP
Unable to connect to Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team: The Notes server is not a known TCP/IP host.
Requesting address of md350151.mayco.com from Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team on LAN0
Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team has no address for md350151.mayco.com on LAN0
Checking for md350151.mayco.com on TCPIP using address 'md350151.mayco.com'
Checking for md350151.mayco.com on LAN0 using address 'md350151.mayco.com'
Checking low and normal priority connection records...
No default passthru server defined
Unable to find any path to md350151.mayco.com
Local Error: The Notes server is not a known TCP/IP host.

Determining path to server md350151/servers/mayven
Checking normal priority connection records only...
Requesting address of md350151/servers/mayven from Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team on LAN0
Notes Server 1/Pavlik Design Team has no address for md350151/servers/mayven on LAN0
Checking for md350151 on TCPIP using address 'md350151'
Checking for md350151 on LAN0 using address 'md350151'
Checking low and normal priority connection records...
No default passthru server defined
Unable to find any path to md350151/servers/mayven
Local Error: Unable to find path to server

The reason I need to connect is that the server will be replicating this... and I need to get a cross certificate.

You may want to check your DNS records or Host file. Don't know what OS your Notes server is running on, but I have had to create a host file on the Notes server which contains the other server names with IP address that it is trying to reach. If you can't ping the Notes server by name from a DOS prompt, then the Notes server won't find it either and you have to define the information in a host file. If you do get a reply from ping, then I'm not sure what the issue is.

I encountered and resolved this same problem for one of my users trying to dial in remotely to our network and access Lotus Notes. She had never done it before, and received the "Host not found TCP/IP".
I added an entry to her hosts file with the ip of our Domino server, and tested it. It worked.
Later, we discovered our DNS server didn't have the correct ip for the mail server, which was the root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back