Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Notes "Outlook Style" Setup....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHawk2

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
I've gone through about 3 books now trying to find out if I can do the following. (Obviously I did not find the answer in the books or I would not be here.)

I would like to know if it is possible to configure Lotus Notes Client to get its e-mail much the way that MS Outlook does. Meaning that if I am at home and have High Speed Internet access am I restricted to the Dial up phone line or can I access it through SMTP/Pop3?

If so could someone please explain to me how to and where to set those settings???

Thanks
BH2

Is there a firewall involved? Do you have access it through it to the notes server if there is? Is your mail server web enabled?

What email client do you intend to use?

Yes, you can smtp into the mail server, but you have to have access.

Yes there is a firewall. And the ports are mapped to the server, so there is access. Yes it can also be seen as a webserver to retreive e-mail (hotmail style).

I was wondering if the Notes Client can be used as the e-mail client. I've already got users on Outlook, but they were told they need to get off of Outlook and use Lotus Notes Client.

At current I only know how to configure a phone dial in and configure Lotus Client for the office network. We have a few people in the field with High Speed Cable Modems. They would like to use the Lotus Client to Connect to the Lotus Server much the same way that Outlook would via SMTP/Pop3. (We are using Lotus\Domino R5 if that helps any.)

So having access is not so much the problem as needing to find instructions on how to configure the Notes Client to use the SMTP gateway.

You can have the users set up the Notes client on their home machines just like you would at work. Then access the connection documents and create a server connection with the correct IP:port address through the firewall.

Is this done through the "Location" settings???

You can create a new location but it's probably best to just use one of the locations that already exist. The connection is set in the "Connections" view.

Add a connection. Use the Notes server name, port tcpip. Go into advanced settings and set the path using the tcpip address with the :port# extension. Gamesman
jhughes@barbhosp.com
MT(ASCP), MCP, CIW, CNA

if this a issue for your company and there is a need for this maybe you might suggest that they get some fire wall software that allows you to get through the fire wall from home, I.E. VPN software that can be loaded on your home and laptop pc to allow you to use high speed access and lotus notes with out changing the location settiings, hope this helps.

Gamesman & lincoln591,

Thanks for your help. For some reason the VPN totally sliped my mind.... duh and they call me an administrator...

BH2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back