Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Notes Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljg

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Running successful file-level backups of our Lotus Notes server. I installed the Legato Notes module on the client today. Running the Networker User for Notes GUI, I try to back up a database (i.e. mymailfile.nsf) and it returns successful after only a second or two (leading me to believe it's not really backing up), and then if I try to do the restore from the same GUI, I get an error "No index was found. You have not backed up any files from this machine ..." Both client & server are Win2k. Anyone know anything about the Lotus Notes Module?

If you backed up LN database in file level, then you can only restore it with normal NW client.
You need to backup the LN database with LN module --"nsrnote.bat", afterward you can restore it.

When I try to run the backup from the Lotus Notes backup program, it doesn't back anything up. Within seconds there's a message that the backup was successful (when it should take at least a few minutes) ... but there is really no backup and therefore nothing to restore. I'm thinking of reinstalling (again).

Hi!

You will have to add some parameters to the enviroment of the notes server.
Same as those of the nsrnotes.bat file.

From legato Tech dialog.
Title: Notes - Manual backup does not save files; returns 'backup successful'
Description:

A manual backup using the NetWorker User for Lotus Notes GUI fails to save any
files.
The message 'backup successful' is returned. There are no errors reported in
\nsr\logs\messages or in \nsr\logs\daemon.log.

ANALYSIS:

BusnesSuite Module for Lotus Notes 1.0.1 for NT
Windows NT 4.0

The PATH environmental variable does not contain a reference to 'nnotes.dll'.
Nnotes.dll is a DLL (dynamic link library) used to access the data stored in the
Notes database. This DLL file should be located in the Lotus Notes client
directory (typically C:\NOTES\).

Search your hard drive for the location of this DLL file. Typically, there
should only be one copy of nnotes.dll.

SOLUTION:

Ensure that your PATH environment variable includes the directory where the
nnotes.dll file is located.

Implementing Notes module is tricky. Reference is to NM 2.1
1. Install Notes module on the client.
You must install regular networker client first to use Notes module.
2. copy nsrdoclb.dll from nsr\bin directory to Notes directory on the client--This is to enable Document level recovery.
3.Edit nsrnotes.bat file according to the directions.
4.Add hosts entries to Clint and the server.
5.For Notes db backup, create notes client on the server with NOTES as the save set in the saveset field.
you can recocer Notes DB with Networker Notes cleint only, the file system can be recoverd with regular Networker client--This is the reason for two client on the backup server for each Notes server cleint.
6.Specify all known aliases.
7.Enter the name of Backup script-Otherwise regular save will be performed.
8. If the backup is running fine you will see for each Notes client backup session X 3or 4 times in Monitor tap of Networker administrator-Also check Savgrp completion report and deamon log.----Go through NM documentation.
9 Recovering the data is some thing i have not figured it out yet...testing in progress, my recover failes with error unable to initialize notes library module error =421.
My notes server is 5.011, this is currently not supported by legato, so i will test on a new server with Notes 5.09--any ideas

fazil1 - I've done everything you described (except the nsrdoclb.dll). My notes directory for the server is d:\lotus\domino and nnotes.dll is in the same directory. NSR is c:\program files\nsr\bin. here's the text from my .bat file:
@REM @(#)nsrnote.bat 1.0 98/02/18 Copyright (c) 2000, Legato Systems, Inc.
@REM
@REM All rights reserved.
@REM
@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
REM Here are my backup options:
SET myArgs=-R
SET PATH=d:\lotus\domino;"c:\program files\nsr\bin"
SET Notes_ExecDirectory=d:\lotus\domino
REM ------------------- DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE -----------------------
REM
set nsrNotes=
set addNext=0
:ArgLoop
if "%1" == "" GOTO Backup
if %addNext% == 1 goto AddVal
REM
REM
REM
if "%1" == "-N" goto AddOn
if "%1" == "-l" goto AddOn
if "%1" == "-s" goto AddOn
if "%1" == "-b" goto AddOn
if "%1" == "-g" goto AddOn
REM
SHIFT
GOTO ArgLoop
REM
REM
REM
:AddOn
SET nsrNotes=%nsrNotes% %1
SET addNext=1
SHIFT
GOTO ArgLoop
REM
REM
REM
:AddVal
SET nsrNotes=%nsrNotes% %1
SET addNext=0
SHIFT
GOTO ArgLoop
REM
REM Construct backup command
REM
:Backup
SET BACKUPCMD=nsrnotesv %nsrNotes% %myArgs%
%BACKUPCMD%
ENDLOCAL
@ECHO ON

Hi!

Whene you run the nsr notes program the nsrnotes.bat file is not used. If you don´t have the Path and
Notes_ExecDirectory=d:\lotus\domino in you Enviroment I dont think it will work.

Please make sure you check your path and environment path make it DOS compatable IE.
c:\program~1;c:\notes

If you did not use the Notes Default install and Notes is not on the C partition then you need to use a "-T" instead of the -R. and you can also use the -D3 in that statment to get more output to help you see what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back