Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Notes: Library Initialization failed, error 421

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawfpi

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
Hi all:

I saw a number of people asking the same thing last year, but no answers. So does anyone know why this Library initialization failure, error 421 may occur (as below). This is running Notes 5.x on an NT 4.0 server, using NW 7.0 client and NML 2.1. I have checked the compatability guide and it says that this combination is OK.

TIA

NetWorker version: 7.0.Build.322;
version: 7.0.Build.322;
save set: path="NOTES:", arg="NOTES:", level=full, diskno=0, max_sessions=1, stype=save ;
parallelism: 8
greyhound:NOTES: level=full, dn=0, mx=1, vers=ssbrowse, p=2
11/20/03 05:54:54 savegrp: greyhound:NOTES: started
nsrnote.bat -s backjack -g test -n -LL -m greyhound -l full -W 78 -N NOTES: NOTES:
11/20/03 05:55:03 savegrp: greyhound:NOTES: succeeded.
* greyhound:NOTES: rcmd greyhound, user root: `nsrnote.bat -s backjack -g test -n -LL -m greyhound -l full -W 78 -N NOTES: NOTES:'
* greyhound:NOTES: nsrnotesv: Notes Library initialization failed, error = 421
* greyhound:NOTES: nsrnotesv: Exit code: 421
11/20/03 05:55:03 savegrp: greyhound:NOTES: will retry 1 more time(s)
11/20/03 05:55:03 savegrp: greyhound:NOTES: started
nsrnote.bat -s backjack -g test -n -LL -m greyhound -l full -W 78 -N NOTES: NOTES:
11/20/03 05:55:06 savegrp: greyhound:NOTES: succeeded.
* greyhound:NOTES: 1 retry attempted
* greyhound:NOTES: rcmd greyhound, user root: `nsrnote.bat -s backjack -g test -n -LL -m greyhound -l full -W 78 -N NOTES: NOTES:'
* greyhound:NOTES: nsrnotesv: Notes Library initialization failed, error = 421
* greyhound:NOTES: nsrnotesv: Exit code: 421
11/20/03 05:55:06 savegrp: greyhound:NOTES: will retry 0 more time(s)
11/20/03 05:55:06 savegrp: greyhound:index started
save -s backjack -S -g test -n -LL -f - -m backjack -V -l full -LL -W 78 -N index:2f20f530-00000004-3ea7dbd1-3ebab905-387c0000-86f87f46 /var/nsr/index/greyhound
11/20/03 05:55:06 savegrp: greyhound:index succeeded.
* greyhound:index rcmd localhost, user root: `save -s backjack -S -g test -n -LL -f - -m backjack -V -l full -LL -W 78 -N index:2f20f530-00000004-3ea7dbd1-3ebab905-387c0000-86f87f46 /var/nsr/index/greyhound'
* greyhound:index /var/nsr/index/greyhound/db6/3fb9704e.rec

I received this from Legato for the solution. Although I was having errors with backups not recovery the solution is the same. Make sure that the location of the notes.ini file is the first entry in the PATH. This worked and I am backing up the databases

Solution Information

Title:Error: 'nsrnotesv: Notes Library initialization failed, error = 421' during recover ID:legato36242 Solution Statements

Here is the solution:
Edit the system environment PATH or set the PATH in the command window before executing the nsrnotesrc.exe or nwbml.exe commands.

Set the system PATH so that for the particular partition being recovered its datapath (location of notes.ini for that partition) is listed first before any other datapath for any other partition.

i.e:
In the shell where you will execute the nsrnotesrc command execute first: SET PATH=Drive:/partition_to_recover_datapath;%PATH%.

Additionally for a more permanent solution, set the system environment PATH to have the partition to be recovered listed first, although, this could cause some confusion if a different partition server's data is required to be recovered.

Here is the problem or goal:
Error: 'nsrnotesv: Notes Library initialization failed, error = 421' during recover
Error 421 defined in Lotus notes as oserr.h:#define ERR_NO_NOTESINI PKG_OS+165
oserr.h: errortext(ERR_NO_NOTESINI, "The Notes Preferences file cannot be found.")
oserr.h: errortext(ERR_NO_NOTESINI, "The NOTES.INI file cannot be found on the search path (PATH)")
Lotus recover fails

Here is the problem environment:
NetWorker Module for Lotus 2.2 (build 114) on Windows
NetWorker for Windows 6.2
Microsoft windows 2000 SP3
Domino 6.0.1 CF1 SPR # PROE5JWUN2

Here is the cause:
For the particular Domino partition being recover, the DATAPATH (location of notes.ini for that partition) is not define or is not defined first in the PATH environment variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back