Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Approach Database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielJupiter

Programmer
Jun 4, 2007
GB
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening

Just a quick question guys, i know your the guru's at Lotus Approach,

My question is, i've made a small database contining 1500ish people. anyway i need this to be relational. and i cant find anywhere that i can make it relational. ive made join's between the databases. but when i do, it just makes another company when i add another customer.. i'm just STUCK :( I have been working on this for just over a week and dont know where to go from there.

is there any books i can buy or can i visit someone's website and get them to make it for me

Thanks in advanced

Daniel.

The key to adding records in your case is to make sure which database is the "main" database for your form. If it is the company database, a new record will be added to that database.

If you are adding people, the form should be based on people. You can assign them to a company record by selecting the value for the join field accordingly. For example, I would put the join field from people on the people-based form, and set it up as a "field box and list" with the source of the list being the company database's join field. If it is a number or other type of "cryptic ID", you could display the company name as the description to be displayed for the user to select. When the name is selected, the join field in people would fill in with the company's ID value.

You asked about books, and I would recommend any of the Approach books including those for version 3 or the 96-97 versions. I am the author of the best book on Approach 96, but it is out of print and only shows up on Amazon occasionatlly.

Most of us learned by "doing" or by looking at examples. One place you can do that is by creating applications from the supplied SmartMasters and examining how they work.

Sue Sloan

Thanks for your reply Sue, i'm now using File maker pro.

thanks

Daniel

Sue since you are the author of the best book on approach and its out of print, how do we get the best book? Will you do another best book?

Hello--I am looking for a Lotus Approach Programmer to tune-up my relational database. The vast majority of the work is already done. Please contact me at matt.bars@prodigy.net
to discuss fees, etc.

Thanks.
-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back