Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lots of services not starting on 2K AD DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac26

ISP
Mar 17, 2003
US
Hello everyone !!!

I have a server that does not start lots of services, including those for the Domain Controller, so, Active Directory management and authenticating are not working.

Here's the error I get when I run "Active Directory Users and Computers", as well as any other AD administration tool:

"Naming information cannot be located because:
The server is not operational.
Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online."

This doesn't make any sense because I am the system administrator and port # 389 is not blocked, I have plenty of disk space and memory everywhere, I've increased registry and virtual memory size and nothing changes.

The idea of installing 2K again is not even an option because this DC authenticates users for accessing an Oracle database which I don't have any access to, so if I re-install 2K, the SIDs will never be the same in the new installation and I will be back to "0" because that database is the blood of this business.

I have also loaded all patches and updates available from Microsoft and nothing has changed a bit.

I really would appreciate any help I can get with this, I am running out of options.

Thank you !!!

More info please. This sounds like a bad one.
Is DNS server running?
Which services are failing to start?

Thanks for replying !!!!
Here's the list of services that are not starting:
Distributed link tracking server: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
FTP Publishing Service: Not enough storage is available tocomplete this operation.
Intersite Messaging: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
Terminal Services Licensing: No message, just started while server running!.
Windows Time: The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator. (I am the system administrator!).
World Wide Web Publishing Service: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Both DNS Client and Server services are running, but when I try to use the DNS Admin tool, I get a response saying that "The specified DNS server cannot be contacted.", with the server name (SERVER1) in the left pane.

If this is not enough problems, the server rebooted itself this morning about three times, I believe because it found an error somewhere and it's configured to reboot with these kind of errors, rebooting is not my concern, my concern is the cause of the errors of course.

If you could share any Win2K tools you may have I would greatly appreciate it, like a domain tester or maybe a registry fixing tool, anything will do.

Thank you very much F1lby !!!!

Zac

Try to re-apply Service Pack, i have had problems starting services with the reference to limited disk space to complete the operation. After re-installing SP everything went just fine. i had to do that on one computer out of three. That may help.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back