Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lots of general VPN Questions - sorry for the quantity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenapp

Technical User
Nov 22, 2011
Hi

Ive asked may questions about VPN here - Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully between a few people you can answer all my questions.

Ive been looking at StongVPN, please can you guys help me with a few questions.

I use VPN for public hotspots, online banking, accessing BBCIP from Spain, my second home and downloading gaming patches and software through torrents.

- Who else offers the same service? [maybe cheaper with the same bandwidth / features] Anyone have experience of them? Whats it like? And others - Whats your experience of them?

- Strong offer L2TP & PPTN - whats the difference?
- My Router - can I use the service configured from within? or does it depend on the router? If I do what happens if i find a blocked site?
- The Playstation 3 - is that part of the vpn?
- Will some sites restrict access? Facebook / Twitter / update sites for Itunes / Microsoft etc?
- What sites have you encountered that do restrict access?
- If I get restricted sites can I run the original next to the VPN so I can switch between and still access the restrictions without? Would I need two routers to do this? I dont mind buying two routers? If i do how would I switch between them?

One other thing? - If I use VPN what can the Broadband provider log? Will they just get the traffic to the site? Or are VPNs usually SSL? Is Strong SSL? Are there many that are?

Thanks

Ian

In the first place i advise you instead of StrongVPN, because StrongVPN is a high advertised website that mean many users are on the same server, so that make the connection with the VPN very slow. And i've heard that HMA and StrongVPN are seling some logs to governments in some cases. So u cannot trust those 2.

I've been using different VPN's for over 2 years mostly for my work, and the last one i used and i choose vpnaccounts as the best one

I'm now working on it for like 8/9 months

1] VpnAccounts supports every way to connect to the VPN.
for the information that i found on their website.
2] I do not understand that question, afcourse no blocked sites will be found.
3] No, but you can configure your VPN settings on the Playstation 3 to get it worked on there.
4] Nope, because you will look to BBCIP i advise you the L2TP or SSTP way with the UK IP address, with all the servers they provide you have acces to all the websites.
5] No restricted websites
6] Nope.

By using a VPN your connection will be encrypted, so your provider will only see some encrypted shit like #$%$@#. Your ISP never will get your logs with VpnAccounts.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back