Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost wireless setup in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

miryam

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
US
After a week-long power outage two computers in our office have lost the (identical) wireless networking setup. I have all the settings info, but the named network isn't listed among available networks. If I try to set up a new network I am offered the opportunity to add computers to the existing named network, but if I do that the network still doesn't show up in the list of available networks. If I choose "change order of available networks" the missing network is listed in the proper order.

IOW, XP knows it exists, but won't make it available?

Any idea why this is happening? What I can do about it?

Router is Linksys. An insecure Linksys wireless connection is all we have available at present.

Have you tried resetting the router back to its default settings? I would do that to ensure that the DHCP range contains an adequate amount of available IP addresses.

You might also want to try changing the wireless network name to something different than what it was before the power outage. By default it is "linksys".

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Some general things to try.

If it is not a Router problem you could try some of these.

See if there are any problems with the wireless zero configuration service?

To re-install the wireless zero configuration service under XP, see:
Install Wireless Zero Configuration Service

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problems with Wireless.

Try Safe Mode with Networking (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back