Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost the ability to select and copy text with the mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossimo

Programmer
Dec 31, 2003
US
I have lost the ability to select and copy text with the mouse.
I can highlight a selection but when I left click to open the copy past context menu my selection is lost. This behavior occurs in any file or application (system wide).

I’m running XP Pro with all current service packs and updates. I tried several different methods to scan for viruses trojans ect, and found nothing.

Note: I did find a entry in my add remove programs called “texthighlight” it had no other information like size or date so I un-installed it but made no difference.

Anyone know of any registry setting that control text selection I could explore.

I give this slight greater than 50% as a chance for a fix, but start with it anywary.

Open a notepad session and copy/paste the below as Fix_IE.cmd

Double-click the file when done and answer any prompts.

********* begin copy/paste below this line
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
*******end copy/paste above this line

"I can highlight a selection but when I left click to open the copy past context menu my selection is lost."

Should you not be right-clicking here and then selecting "Copy"?

right thread.

Warning:

linney picks on lefties.

Yes right click is what meant.
Ok bcastner I ran Fix_IE.cmd and registered the dll’s but it didn’t fix it.

“slight greater than 50%” doesn’t sound to good to me are you suggesting that this may be a more serious problem like an unrecoverable OS corruption or something else sinister?

"Bccastner's" too "cryptic" for my simple mind, but has me wondering about swapping right and left click options of the mouse.

No, my 'slightly better than 50% chance' guess is that it was a registration problem with some critical DLLs. As you have registered them appropriately, would you mind doing one test?
I honestly do not thing a reinstall of XP is warranted.

Start, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, look for "Internet Explorer - (Q824145)" or something similar. It may be listed under Hotfix Q824145.

Uninstall it.
Reboot -- this is important.
Test again.

If this resolves the issue, see thread608-707053

If it does not change and resolve the issue after a test, please advise again.

Note: go to Windows Update and it will replace the Hotfix as one of its first steps.

Are you saying that the COPY AND PASTE of "Bcastner's" first fix went OK? Or did you type it in to Notepad, or use Ctrl C and P?

My 50% fix is really dependent on re-registering these four dlls:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

For an Explorer error with cut/paste this usuall does the trick.

In the alternative, if using Microsoft Office, you need to go to the Office Update site and update Office.

This approaches 85% of the issues.

The remaining issue is possibly an issue with the November IE Hotfix. (I know you have the issue in Windows Explorer). If you test after removing this Hotfix and the issue disappears, there is no simple solution. You really need the Hotfix. Microsoft has promissed a fix "soon."

linney,

And yes, you can make a "left-handed" mouse.

That was my point (or is it pointer?), wondering if someone had swapped the options of the mouse around. And now I'm wondering how "mossimo" copied and pasted your instructions.

I wonder a lot lately!

You add 10% to the solution guess if you click My Computer, right-click Properties on your system Drove. amd dp a Disk Cleanup, including 'Options'

You symptoms if the above do not help are of a TEMP folder that is full, and a C:\Documents and Settings\username\Temp folder that is full.

Uninstalled (Q824145) and no change, Microsoft Office is also up to date and bcastner I empty all my temp folders and ran disk clean up. No miracles.

Linney I admit I did copy and past. I simplified the problem for brevity. The whole story is this:

I can always make a selection by clicking at the start position and by holding down the Shift Key drag the mouse to select text. By doing it this way when I release the selected text stays highlighted so I can then right click and copy.

Strangely some times but very rarely it will select normally (without Shift Key) but this rare bug free behavior only applies to selections made from left to right. Strange?

The only Clue’s I have is the unknown program I mentioned in my first post found in the add/remove programs dialog.

Maybe you could uninstall the mouse from Device Manager and let windows rediscover it?

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows. This may also return "TextHighlight" back in to the Add or Remove section.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work and this is worrying you to such an extent that you think this is necessary, you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

First off let me say I deeply appreciate everybody’s help. Linney I tried all your ideas and no luck so I am now doing a re-installation of XP I will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers
mossimo

Re-Installation failed to fix the problem so I just finished a disk format and clean install of XP so it’s all working now.

I believe the problem may have been a result of my recent upgrade to DirectX 9 but I’m not sure. Really to bad I couldn’t find the source but I didn’t have the time to play detective.

Big thanks to Bcastner and Linney for your help I really appreciate it.

I guess I can call this thread closed.

Oh and one last thing, “Go to hell mr. gates” (no proper caps on last name for extra disrespect!)

I had a similar issue when clients were infected with the Nachi virus. One of the services weren't running. DCOM or something. Check that all services set to run automatically are actually running and also do a virus scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back