Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Sound With Windows Media Palyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShirleySB

Instructor
Dec 8, 2002
US
Recently and for no apparent reason I have lost sound on my computer, (Windows Media Player?), both at the plug in jack on the back of the computer and the headphone jack on the front.

Windows XP Home Service pack 3.

Sound does not play from saved music, CD drive or CD-RW drive.

I have tried all known sound adjustment with no success.
When playing music, the media player opens and the screen shows the light show I have chosen and the bar moves across as if it is playing correctly.

Any suggestions?

As usual, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is it a separate Sound Card or included as part of the Motherboard? Maybe any Sound Card has just died or become dislodged?

In the Control Panel/ Sounds, do you have the correct default device for Audio or Voice selected?

If you look in Device Manager are there any problems indicated under Sound, Video and Game Controllers?

While there, uninstall Sound Devices and reboot and let Windows rediscover them.

If you have no working Sound Device, the internal speaker should beep occasionally as you use Windows, and probably during bootup, do you get any sound from that?

Run the DxDiag from the Start Run box, see if that picks up anything.

Use MsInfo32 the same way too.

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors. Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

HOW TO: Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP

No Sound in windows XP Professional Computers
thread779-689922

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back