Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost SKCard files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerlou

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
My Sidekick 98 would not load after I upgraded to Win XP. After reading all the FAQs, I archived the applications and reloaded to a different hard drive. Now 98 loads and works fine except, when I copied my old user data files to the drive with 98 on it, my Personal 98 & Business 98.SKCards disappeared. The new sample Personal & Business cards took their place. All other SKCards moved perfectly. I do not have a separate backup. Are they lost for good?

Dear rogerlou,
Did you leave the Name of your cardfiles the same as the default ones that are loaded by Sidekick...
There is the possibility that when you reloaded Sidekick you overwrote the old ones in that case.
I still cannot see from the sequence of events that you describe how that could have happened but just in case carry out the following:
Check the entire hard drive(s) using Windows Find Files Dialogue to see if you can locate any other:
*.SKCard Files.
By that I mean enter what is in BOLD above in the Text Box of the Find Files Dialogue.
Then you will see if any other cardfiles named the same are on your computer.
If they are there then I suggest you Highlight(Select) them and then press F2 and rename them to ANYTHINGELSE.SKCard and then open and then press F12 to SaveAs them back into your Data Folder.
see how you get on with that and then Post back with the result.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I had already tried that, but did it again and found only the ones that I told you about. I did find some files with the same name but the ext were (.SKTmpCard). I couldn't open them.

Dear rogerlou,
Silly question I know, but have you checked your Old Hard Drive?
I say this because in your original post you say:
" After reading all the FAQs, I archived the applications and reloaded to a different hard drive. Now 98 loads and works fine except.."

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

No such thing as a silly question! Yes I have been everywhere there is to go, I think. I did not Zip the userdata file folder. Also, a funny thing happened, I now have two (identical)copies of several cards, including the NEW(blank) Personal & Business.SKCard. One thing I did not tell you, Is that temporarily, I am running 98 on C:\ and XP on E:\. I don't know what differece that would make but for your info.

I didn't uninstall 98 because I coudn't get SK to run on XP at first. I may uninstall it now. I need more advice on this.

Dear rogerlou,
Where did you Archive the old Sidekick files to?
Remember that the 'C' drive in 98 will be the 'D' or 'E' drive in XP (I know you probably realise that, but thought it was worth mentioning the obvious).

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back