Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Search ability 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatebc

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2004
US
One of my Windows XP Pro machines has lost the ability to search (find) files/folders or anything. Could a registry key have gotten screwed up? Is there any way to get SEARCH back?

HELP, please

Kelly Theriot suggested:
Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

I had the same problem some time ago, was not able to fix it, got exactly the samme error messages. Used an old restore point and it was OK!

bcastner: how can I ask you a question? You seem to be very active with great knowledge.

I have a Windows 98 system that will no longer allow me to update Windows via the MS site. I get an error when scanning or updates.

I have just gotten around to attempting to resolve the problem with the solutions above without success. The search screen still displays blank.

I had hoped that installing SP1 would resolve but this did not happen. Guess, I have to wipe clean and restart from scratch.

This link (and its leads) will offer you a precis of general search problems and fixes.

Try this link with a view to fixing your search engine.
Click on WIN XP FIXES on the left of the page and look for "Win XP Search Problems".

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode with Search?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Did you run "EasyCleaner v 1.7"? If so you will need a program to restore some DLL's. "FixWinHelp.vbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back