Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost publisher file

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwf

MIS
Sep 20, 2005
CA
I was working on a microsoft publisher file and saving to a usb memory stick, my computer decides to not recognize my memory stick and so i got a popup message saying publisher can't save to 'H', if i cancel the file will be lost, only other alternative was to hit 'retry' but i kept getting the same message, so i hit cancel and i was then asked if i want to save before the program closed, i hit yes. The memory stick was not plug into the computer. So my question is, would the file be saved somewhere else? if so where would publisher save the file? or have i lost the file i was working on?

Search in Windows Explorer using Advanced Search for files dated around the date and time the fault occurred.

I recommend never to work using a memory stick. Word with your local HDD and always copy to/from the memory stick.

Regards: Terry

Try using this free program to search for it:
SearchMyFiles

It's an AWESOME search program.

It's fast.
It's portable by nature, you just unzip it, and run it!
Did I mention it's fast?
It REALLY WORKS.

Before this one, I tried Search Everything, and thought it pretty good. Indeed, that is also a good program, but it must be installed in the registry to do a normal install, and if you do it that way, well, it's as bad or worse than Windows' own indexing service, best I can tell so far.

I like both, but I believe SearchMyFiles is my favorite searching program of all time. Oh, here's the other thing for this program - it'll search ANYWHERE - not just local drives - that's been a big limitation on many of the search apps, in my opinion.

If that doesn't work, there are a couple other things you can try:
1. Open Publisher, see if it's got a reference to the file, and if so, try opening it - won't hurt.

2. Try data recovery software - on the USB drive, and on your C: drive, and your documents/data drive if that's separate. Restoration is a good free one, also portable in that it just runs without being installed. Another good one is Recuva, but it has to be installed (unless there's a portable version available for it, which I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

All the above apps mentioned are 100% free. [smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

..well, Publisher isn't free, and I did at least mention it by name, but surely you understand I wasn't including it in my FREE statement. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

NEVER save to a USB stick. As tf1 mentions, use your HD, and copy to the USB stick.

Publisher (I do not use it, so I do not know where this would be) probably has a default folder location. IF the file was saved (and it is certainly possible it was not), it is likely there.

Use a search application, or, make a new file with Publisher and save it in Publisher. See where Publisher defaults to saving.

Gerry

The file that you saved should be in your most recently used file list. If your using 2003 or earlier it should just show under File ->recent.

However, the easiest way to find it is to open a blank document and go File -Save as and see where Publisher wants to save the file to. That is your default save location and where your "missing" file should be.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back