Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Printer Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnpd41

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
All,
I am still trying to solve a problem I thought had gone away... We are trying to migrate our users from a central printer server to directly printing to networked HP printers. The problem is some users will lose the printer port after a time. Of course no port no printing. We can not narrow it down to any single issue causing the port to disappear. Here is some info to help:

W2K SP3, HP printers with JetDirect cards (2300 and 4100), roaming profiles in an NT Domain.

Any have any similar problems and possible solution?

Just curious, why are you trying to move away from a network print server?

Valid question mawilson...1st we are directed to by the level II folks (which means do it but we don't have any support built into the process) and it really makes sense since many of our sites are geographically separated from the building that houses the servers. Now the print jobs stay at layer 2 and never leave the building, creating less network traffic and quicker completion of print jobs.

Now if we could just figure out this issue the printer ports disappearing...I have to think it has to do with roaming profiles but am not sure...Anyone?

R U using IP printing? Do the Jetdirect cards have Static IP's? R the Jetdirect cards configured for TCP\IP only? You say losing port, which port? R U mapping the LPT1 to an IP within 2000 (an old Win95 98 capture)? As long as the printers have static IP's and you are creating the printers on the pc's using TCP\IP printing, then you shouldn't be loosing any "port". Provide more info and I will research.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back