Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost perl html documentation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazoid

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I accidentally deleted the ActivePerl index.html file for the documentation.. Does anyone know if there's a way to regenerate it? I could always copy it from another PC, but I'd like to get back the links to the documentation for all the modules I had installed without having to reinstall them.
Thanks..

jt

Have you tried undeletng the file? What OS are you on, and more specifically what is the file system for the disk in question.

--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ...

I'm using Windows XP pro, and the file system is NTFS. Do you know of a free undelete utility?
This is what happened exactly..
You can drag and drop the icon in the upper left corner of an IE window and it will create a shortcut - In previous versions of windows it could be dropped at the top of the Start menu.. Don't try this in XP! It wouldn't work when I clicked on it, so I deleted it, thinking I was deleting a shortcut.. but it deleted the actual file.
I tried to restore it from the recycle bin, but I still can't seem to get it back.

You restored from the recycle bin ... has it gone back to the top of the start menu?

--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ...

Yes.. It did go back there.. If I right-click and select properties, It only gives me a 'general' tab, with the info -
Size: 0 bytes

If I click it, it just tries to find the missing index.html file... and the index file I restored was the only one in the recycle bin. Would a system restore bring it back, or does that only work for system files/settings?

System restore .. would overwrite anything you've installed since your last checkpoint

Create a checkpoint, and try restoring the previous, if it doesn't restore the latest

Sorry can't be of more help

Try running a document search for index.htm* documents as an Adminsitrator, it may have been restored toi a different profile

Regards
Paul

Hey Paul,
I tried the system restore, but no luck..
I did figure this out though.. the left frame in the documentation is perltoc.html and the right is perlmain.html. Those are still there, so all I have to do is get any other index.html.
Thanks for the suggestions!

-jt

Code:
<HTML>

<HEAD>
<TITLE>ActivePerl Help</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<FRAMESET cols=&quot;269,*&quot;>
  <FRAME name=&quot;TOC&quot; src=&quot;perltoc.html&quot; target=&quot;PerlDoc&quot;>
  <FRAME name=&quot;PerlDoc&quot; src=&quot;perlmain.html&quot;>
  <NOFRAMES>
  <H1>Sorry!</H1>
  <H3>This page must be viewed by a browser that is capable of viewing frames.</H3>
  </NOFRAMES>
</FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET>
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>
--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back