Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost password for 3c16902

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confussed

MIS
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi, I have inherited the above switch a 3c16902 which says it is a 3com superstack 2 desktop switch.

It has 24 ports and a single 100mb-tx mdix port on the fromt for RJ45. on the rear is a 9 pin serial connector and a reset button.

As usual with these things i have no documentation and no passwords for this switch. I have trolled through the forum looking for the passwords and have tried all the one mentioned. None of these work.

I am connecting via the serial port and can get the emulation up. Can anyone give me any more passwords for this switch or an idea of how i can recover the passwords by perhaps downloading an old version of firmware.

I dont know the correct description of the switch so i cant find anything on the 3com site about it

hope this will help

login: 3comsco
pass: RIP000
Do you want to re-initialize this device (y/n [n]:

If you press Y the switch will be going in to factory defaults so user= manager and pass=manager

good luck
AlexxIT

Thanks for that , but no it didnt work, any more offers :)

Haven you gotten an answer to this yet? I have a 3c16900A that I have the same problem with. Fortunately, it is working, but I'd like to be able to manage it. It was put in place from a former location and the IP address doesn't match. Thanks for any insight.

Nope I havent had a reply that has worked yet. My switch is also working and like you i want to be able to manage it

I suppose I can use the excuse that I'm in management so no one expects me to know what is going on! Thanks...
and the 3comsco RIP000 doesn't work either.
I'm running out of hair!!

Update the firmware. If you do this the settings will all be set back to the factory defaults and you can use "admin" with no password to get in.

You can download firmware from the 3Com Website and use a serial connection to upload it. There is a text file with each firmware download that tells you how to do it.

On a related note 3Com has a nice little #3Com Daemon" program that can be installed on the server to do the uploads for you automatically. Apparently they don't give it out as freeware, only the reps have it. I have a copy on my server and have used it to install new firmware on a number of eBay acquisitions I've gotten that needed their passwords and settings reset.

Hi !

Still I got similar probs ...

I´ve an 3com Superstack II 9300 2-LX/10-SX (3C93011) SWITCH.

My Problem is: I could not login to reconfigure. My pal is walk out around the world and the 3com-support is over, because the machine was bought from 2001, and it´s to old since registration (just 2-year-free-support-help).
They gave me the offer to pay lot of money for help me here. - No thanks ! I haven´t !

Here are all my tried backdoors w/o effect (used serial-console):

adm/(none)
admin/synnet
admin/admin
admin/(blank)
admin/nopass
debug/synnet
write/synnet

... always "incorrect password" !
--------------
and:

root/(blank)
root/manger
security/(blank)
security/security
manager/manager
recover/recover
tech/tech
monitor/monitor
3comcso/RIP000
force/force

... always ".. is not a valid access level"

and here is NO reset-button on my machine ...

Maybe anyone got a quick idea ?! The delivered handbooks (the customer+admin handbooks) have no details for this case...

Does anyone have any idea or answer ?!

Greetings,

Phil (cloonie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back