Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost part of my HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtom

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
CA
I am replacing a 20 Gig IBM Travelstar HDD in a Compaq Evo N400c notebook with the identical 20 Gig IBM Travelstar from an defunct IBM notebook (screen is toast on the IBM). It registered 20 Gig when I took it out of the IBM laptop but when I go to wiped it clean with Killdisk it only sees 7.5 gig.
Any clues?
Thanks

Seems part of the hard disk is unallocated. Can I get it back?

Fdisk and remove the existing partitions then fdisk and add one to use all the space.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks Ed but I did that. It only sees 7.5 Gig when creating the partition

What does the BIOS say when it recognises the HDD?

see if there is a setting for LBA (Large Block Adressing), older Laptops/PC's need to be told that they have a larger HDD than 8gb (a limit of old Hardware)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks Ben but I cannot get into the bios to view it...

I would be tempted to use a W98SE boot disc from:

fdisk delete primary disc partition but then go into extended disc partition on a non logical drive and delete any there as well.
Forgive me if I'm not quiet word correct but it's been a while since I used a W98 boot disc

If all else fails download IBM's hard drive diagnostic tools and zero fill the drive (takes ages though)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks Martin & all.
I have just (in the last 10 minmutes) used Partition Magic to expand the C drive to encompass the unallocated portion. Worked like a charm so all is well. Mind you, it's still a Compaq but somethings cannot be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back