Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Operating System!!..Recovery Disk wont Boot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sperls

Technical User
Jun 16, 2002
US
When I Start up.I Get a Black screen & message "cannot find operating system"..I tried fdisk..fdisk/mbr don`t work...It can`t find the system on "C"...I try the recovery disk,that came with the computer and the first screen comes up,to accept microsoft agreement..I press "y"..Second screen pops..You must delete non-dos partitions...do you want to continue?..o.k or cancel..I press O.K......Then the screen goes black & Iget the message,,"No Fixed Disk Present",on a black Screen...Any Help will be appreciated....Steve

P.S. I do not know what non-dos Partitions are,could this be the problem if so how do I delete them??

Sounds like your system isn't detecting the hard drive. Try going into setup and see if the drive is detecting correctly. This can be a battery problem.
And the recovery disk wants to reload stuff. You should have made an emergency boot disk to use for situations like this. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

not to sound stupid, but make sure everything is plugged in, i dont know what time of the day you work on your computer, but just the other day i was working on it at like 3 in the morning, and i got the same message,i couldnt figure it out for an hour, then the next afternoon i saw that my power cable wasnt plugged into the hd, so double and triple check everything,

simple is the answer if the question is what does s-i-m-p-l-e spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back