Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Network Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tierney

Instructor
May 28, 2002
Firstly, I am NOT mac literate. I'm working on an iMac (G3) that belongs on our local schools (mixed mac/pc) network. Recently, there has been some building work at the school and the cabling was cut. Since then it has been "fixed" all except this one computer who cant access the printer or the server.
So far I have:
1) Established that the patch cable is good.
2) Established that the connection to the network is working.
3) Trashed the preferences for tcp/ip, file sharing and internet.
4) Established that all settings under tcp/ip and internet are correct.
5)Made sure all printer drivers are available.
6) Ran out of ideas.

Under system profiler it say Ethernet (built in) Link : down

My instincts tell me that its a hardware issue now because all the settings check out. How do I tell if the ethernet component is dead?
Is there something simple that I've missed?
Regards
Denise

You don't say what version of the Mac OS is being used, but it sounds like 9.x. If OS X is being used, permissions should be checked. Leaving OS X aside, here are some things to try.

Please be sure the cable is plugged into the ethernet jack and not into the modem jack. I know it sounds crazy but I have seen it happen. In any case, it never hurts to check the tightness of the connection of cables by unconnecting and reconnecting them.

The following is Apple's troubleshooting sequence (pre-OS X):
1. Open the Network control panel and select the Ethernet option. If you can select it, then verify that you can now see devices on the network. If that doesn't work, then try:
2. Reset parameter RAM. Hold down <Command> <Option> <P> <R> during startup but before “Welcome to Macintosh” appears. If that doesn't work, then try:
3. Boot from the system CD that came with the iMac. Open the Network control panel and switch to Ethernet. Are you able to switch to Ethernet and see Ethernet devices on the network now? If so, then the problem is corrupted system software and the system software needs to be reinstalled. But if that doesn't work, then try:
4. Replacing the ethernet cable. If that doesn't work, then try:
5. Using a different port at the connection to the network.
Apple next suggests checking to see whether the whole network is down, which you've already specified not to be the case. Finally, if none of those has worked, Apple says "replace the logic board", which is the only definitive way to test what is now the presumption, that the ethernet port is dead. The ethernet component is not separate but part of the logic board. So if you get to this point, the computer needs to go into the shop. (Except if OS X is running your network. Then there could be other possibilities that I can't think of yet at 1 in the morning; it could be entirely a matter of permissions having gone awry.)

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Helen Clement

Thanks Helen
This looks absolutely wonderful! I can definitely rule out cabling and the port itself, and believe it or not I did check to make sure it wasnt in the modem lol. Its running OS 9.0.something (the machine sitting next to it is running OS 9.1 and works wonderfully)
I'll follow your suggestions tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Regards
Denise Clements
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back