Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost my "right click" search in windows explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

basicbill2222

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
CA
Hi,
I recently noticed that I have lost the 'right click' search option in windows explorer. The option still shows up but when I click on it, nothing happens....no search dialog box....no error message either.
My google research has led me to ZoneAlarm causing this in some instances but I don't have it installed.
The only recent additions to my computer is a Bluetooth setup and a utility called SmartBoard for work.
Of course, the windows version is XP Pro SP2 all updates on a current Dell Inspiron laptop.
Has anyone come across this?
Might there be a simple fix....I prefer this to the Search button at the top of the windows explorer page.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
basicbill

1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
2. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.
3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file.
4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses.

If no joy, see:

Hi,
First, thanks to bcastner for his tips. I finally figured out that it was IE7 (beta) screwing up the search function. I won't be downloading this 'critical update' unless I'm certain that this bug is fixed!

basicbill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back