Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost my product key

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2006
US
Hey guys,
I've have to rebuild one of my computers and I've lost my product key to my orig. Windows XP Pro/SP2 CD. Is there any way for me to retrieve it from the cd?

If you still have access to your OS, you can download an application to read the Product Keys that are currently configured. I use one called ProduKey, you can download it from
--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

well,.. its to late for that now because i don't have any access to my OS anymore. is there any other way?

The code itself is not stored on the CD, so no. You can however get it back by giving Microsoft a call. Only yesterday we needed the serial key but it sticker from the certificate had gone missing, MS were able to give us one over the phone.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

See if you have it on the sticky label on the computer tower itself, or on the material inside the box that the CD came packed in.

Replacement of CD or Product Keys
To replace a CD or Product Key, you must contact PSS. To locate the appropriate phone number for your product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back