Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrampant

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
GB
I am using a number of Windows 2000 PC's that are connected via a belkin onmicube (so they can share a keyboard and mouse).

The problem I am having is that from time to time the mouse becomes unuseable and I have to reboot the machine to get it back.

Is there a way of reinitializing the mouse from the command line in 2000.

The mice are all PS2.

Thanks

>> your belkin box may be defective... becuase a good belkin box is more then just a switch, its actully a signal faker. it fools your computer into beliving that the mouse is still attached.

>> however, what it sounds like is the computer in question is loosing communications with the mouse and causing buffer overruns and fail signals to fire which deactivate the mouse.

>> detaching a ps2 mouse while the computer is running *can* have distructive consequences... i had to move one of my machines to a usb mouse for the simple fact that my ps2 port burned out thanks to a problem simular to this.

>> you may want to look into getting a new belkin box... thats your safest bet.

>> perhaps you need to replace your belkin box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back