Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Micros Activation Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

micros370040

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2009
US
Hi,

We are currently trying to resurect a micros 3700 4.0 system after a HD crash. Unfortuantly, we do not have a backup copy of this OS or system (err.....). I was able to get the Micros RES software reinstalled, but we were not able to retreve the Activation Codes from the old registry due to the fact that i was unable to get the HD to spin up.

Is there any way to get these codes without being charged by micros? I have the key serial etc.... I just dont want to have the company I am working for get charged an astronomical fee to retreve these. If anyone is able to get the activation codes for me or is a micros deal willing to assist for a minimal charge your help would be greatly appreicated!!!!!!!

Ouch, I hope someone knows how to do this! So that's what the saving copies of the keys to a text file is all about?

There might be hope in getting data from the drive if you can spin it but it thinks it is an unformated drive. I used a web service that could probe my drive when it was installed as a second drive. It performed flawlessly for about $100 contract (good for more than one drive too). It found and recovered data that no other data recovery program could. I'll have to check another computer to see if I still have their URL.

The issue is not that it is unable to read the drive. The drive just does not spin. I am looking to get the activation codes to get operations up and running for micros 3700. Is there anyone that can help with this?

I have not installed a MICROS system from scratch yet, so I'm not familiar with the "Key Serial". I'm guessing it is the Key to open the installation CD...?

A call to MICROS support might at least be informative but it could cost you something. You might perhaps contact a local dealer to see if they know what needs to be done at this point. I'd ask for a salesperson and win them over to your side with full disclosure of what has happened. You'd like to get this solved...etc. Sometimes sales can help thread you through their support staff and/or MICROS (dealers often have support accounts). BTW dealers always love to hear about future plans and that you have more potential sales.

All this is just to give you a idea of whether it is worth the $$$ to get the Hard Drive repaired and data recovered from it in order to recover the license keys. Hard drives that don't spin up are repairable and often without any data loss. There are usually local companies that specialize in doing just what you need and you should find out if they cost more than what MICROS may charge for replacement licenses.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but since you didn't have a recovery plan you should expect to pay something. Urgency is going to drive how much you end up paying.

Give your Micros dealer/support a call. They should have a copy of the codes. I know the NY dealership keeps a few books of printed codes for all their installations. There might be a small processing charge but you're not relicensing anything so you shouldn't have to pay for them.

you can retrieve it from micros web page, you only need the software key number

Where on the website is that? I know that dealerships and major accounts can register with Micros for that level of access but didn't know it was available to the general public.

dou you have your software key number? i can retrieve the codes from the micros Intranet for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back