Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost MBs of RAM!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaystd

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
CA
I recntly found 64MB of ram and plugged it into my motherboard with my existing 128MB but now when i right click on my computer and goto properties and it says i only have 160 MB but if my math is correct i should have 192? why is it only saying it was 32MB of ram?

I am running Windows XP if that makes any difference?

Thank you all in advance!

During the POST what is the memory count? Are you sure of the source of the module and that it actually is 64MB? Can you return it for a different one? Can you check it in another computer?

Is it possible that 32mb of ram is shared (used) for onboard graphics??? has your motherboard integrated VGA?
Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

no on board VGA but i will open m comp up later and check it! Thanks guys!

Hey I had that problem on my XP machine too...we had one stick of 64mb and tried to add another and the amounts of ram just kept changing, ended up that the piece of ram was faulty in our case...but you know you arenot the only person to say that... since XP came out.....interesting *ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

Most RAM is not sold in 64MEG sizes any longer. Usually you see 128, 256, 512, etc. Possibly some RAM sizes or types of RAM are just incompatable as well as possibly being of poor quality. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back