Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost IP address on FW-1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despairsquid

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
GB
I've been playing with my checkpoint lab and disabled FW-1,
remote installation and svn foundation services from within control panel NT 4.0. My server seems to have lost all its tcp/ip settings (glug!)even though i've re-enabled the services from control panel.

I was considering an uninstall and re-install of the FWall but am unsure of the process. It's not a matter of life or death but if anyone has any ideas to avoid a complete rebuild they would be most welcome.

Many thanks

are you saying that the TCP/IP settings for the NT machine have been lost or that the settings within the Firewall software have been lost?

1. if it is the network settings for NT then try recreating them manualy. if the nics are still listed but without settings then just add the ip info. if the nics are gone then try "ipconfig /all" at a command line to see what info is stored. then let me know

2. if it is the tcpip settings in fw-1 try checking you local hosts table on the machine and check if the firewall is listed (same name as the object in fw1 then in firewall software do a get interfaces in the firewall object)

Thanks for your help

I have removed the Tcp/ip stack from within control panel (previously the properties had locked & gave no info about the NICs)re-installed sp6i386 , then added tcp/ip. all the original setting for the NICs reappeared. I have since stopped CP services both through the control panel applet and using the cpstop/start command line and everything seems fine.

The ipconfig /all had displayed no details of any NICs but only the Hostname/wins/dns status.

All is now well

many thanks again.

Be warned: changing your IP address will stop Firewall-1 from working.

The product is licensed to the IP address. Once you change your IP address you will have to generate new licences by going to
You will need to have an ID to get the licence – the ID comes with your Software Subscription package which you need to keep up to date (yearly fee).

I have just done this with Firewall-1 and had to jump through a few hoops to do it. Keep your product up to date as the licences will not work if you have older revisions.
The latest Service Packs for 4.0 is SP7 (I think), 4.1 SP6, NG SP2.

The Usercenter guys are quite helpful on 1 817 606 6600 (24/7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back