Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost information on external drive without deleting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maureke

MIS
Jun 4, 2008
I have a maxtor 100gb external hard drive. It seems to have lost one of the directories with several gb in it and now the folder says its empty. Maybe it was caused by disconecting the drive only by pulling the cable. The deal is that the information is there since the disk shows the same amount of free and used space as before the desapearance. I read somewhere that this problem with the directory can be fixed simply by checking the disk for errors using windows. BUT IT WONT LET ME! The files are there and in their right place I just need to access them somhow. I have used disk keeper and it shows the same problems as windows. I also used test disk but for starters it shows an incorrect disk capacity. In conclusion I think I just need to be able to check the disk fot errors somehow.Does anybody have an idea of what to do?

First off, I'd take the drive out of the enclosure if possible, then attach it directly to an IDE/SATA i/face on the motherboard.

I never like to run error correcting software on a drive which contains data I'm trying to recover. I'd first try something like GetDataBack which makes no changes to the drive. I believe the free trial version indicates if data can be found and if it's capable of being copied off. But to actually do the job you have to purchase the software. I've had good experiences recovering data using this application.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back