Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost File Structure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dberg35

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2006
US
I have a drive that lost the NTFS file structure and now says RAW, is there a way to change back without loss of data?

You may can do it via this program:

I used it once, now about 4 years ago, I suppose, on a RAID array after reinstalling Windows, I think is what I did, and the RAID array no longer showed the large NTFS partition - just under 2TB. I ran that program, did an in place recovery, and was back up and running. It isn't free, but it isn't super expensive either, considering the benefit.

It's free for a recovery to an image file on another disk, so if that is an option for you, you can go for that. (It wasn't for me, b/c I was dealing with a near 2TB partition! [smile]

Also, I think you can run the free version, and it'll at least let you know whether recovery is possible, and then if so, buy the full version to do an in place fix.

However, if the file system is damaged for some unknown reason, then it's possible that you would prefer moving it to a separate disk anyway, I'd say, as that could very well point to an issue with your hard drive or array of hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back