Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost edited data in Excel File

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I'm completely lost on what might have happened. I am very diligent with my saves and auto-saves.

That being said, I opened my file today and everything I did yesterday is gone.

I've tried to see if there are any unsaved files anywhere to no avail.

Just tossing this out there before I start over on at least 4 hours work.

I'm on Office 365

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build 16.0.16924.20054) 64-bit

I just re-did everything

Nevermind

If I am working on a complicated spreadsheet for an extended period of time I initiate my own frequent backups in addition to whatever AutoSave might do.[ ] I give these backups different names every time:[ ] MyWorkbook01.xls, MyWorbook02.xls, MyWorkbook03.xls, and so on.[ ] On multi-day exercises I clean up at the start of each day, AFTER I have checked that the latest version seems OK.[ ] Even then I usually restrict my deletions to every second backup.

Remember the old aphorism:[ ] Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean Excel is not out to get you.

[sub][ ]—————————————————————————————————[/sub]
[sup]Engineering mathematician/analyst.[ ] See my profile for more details.[/sup]

kwbMitel,
Check the "Cloud" settings in Office 365 (Excel, any Office app). They recently started defaulting everything to OneDrive. Drives me crazy. But, there is also a fix. You can go to options and change the setting to "On this PC" instead of defaulting to OneDrive.
I got bit by this as well.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCAP, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS, ATD

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back