Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost4life

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2003
US
We have recently upgraded our network to 2003 AD from NT. We have 2 DCs (DC1 and DC2). DC1, which was 4.0 PDC that was upgraded, has died and now I can not connect to the Global Catalog. I know how to enable the Global Catalog on the second DC through the sites and services but not sure what other AD functions I need to setup or change. I should delete all references to DC1 in AD as well since it no longer is available, but not sure on what to expect when this is done. Any suggestions on the correct process to follow?

You'll need to Seize any FSMO roles that were held by the dead DC using NTDSUtil. I beleive MarkDMac posted an FAQ on the 2000 or 2003 forum on how to do this.

Also see MS KB article 216498

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back