Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs1

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hi,

I recently copied over a user's desktop to their new profile - the user was logging into a new domain, so after I got the user successfully logged into the new domain I copied over the old user profile from the old domain. The favorites,desktop and my documents folders.

When this user logs back in, none of the desktop icons from her old profile show on the desktop.I have the desktop toolbar showing on the task bar and I can see all the icons that way, but still nothing on the actual desktop?

Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.

Right click on an empty space on the desktop and select "Arrange Icons by" and make sure Show Desktop Icons is checked, if not check it, and this should bring out the icons.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

When I right click on the desktop, nothing happens, doesn't bring up the box to make these changes. I can right click anywhere. I went into the display properties and can't find anything to change there either. Any other suggestions?

You don't get the right click menu at all? If No menu comes up, then there is something wrong either with the explorer.exe shell, or maybe the profile.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Did you copy the whole
$ROOT\Documents and Settings\USER

folder ?

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

When I right click, nothing comes up.

I copied the c:\documents and settings\userID\desktop folder.

did you double check the \documents and settings\ folder and make sure you dont have a "userid" AND "userid.newdomain" folder?

Srry for the thread jack, but jimp56, I get the "userid" AND "userid.newdomain" problem whats the reason?

Some semi-related articles.

Differences in the User Profiles in Windows

818134 - The %HOMEDRIVE% Environment Variable Does Not Point to the Partition That Hosts the User Profiles

XP Pro adding user profiles
thread779-1047438

Copy profile locally problems.

Multiple Profiles on XP
thread779-887739

To download and install UPHClean, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back