Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost data with Access97 imports from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beren1h

Technical User
Jul 19, 2001
US
I'm trying to pull in data from an Excel spreadsheet to an Access table with the File->Get External Data->Import menu bar option.

These are large spreadsheets (40,000+ rows) and it seems that Access97 will only import the first 16,383 rows. No error message is returned.

Is this a bug or limitation in Access97 or am I missing something? Has anyone else reading this experience the same issue?

Are you overwriting existing data with this new data, or are you just trying to add all of this data into a new table? I've experienced record losses when updating an existing table, not from adding a new table.

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

I am trying to overwrite (not update) an existing table. Is there away around this?

It's strange because this is an old process here. I'm not aware of there ever being a problem before the last few months or so. I am only seeing the problem with spreadsheets with rows over that 16383 number. Smaller ones work fine.

When I've seen this problem it's been due to the fact that my import specs weren't setup correctly. But usually it gives me an error like "Some records were unable to be imported..." Wierd.

Is there a MaxRecords proprety set by code somewhere in the database? Or is this exceeding the maximum database size ... of what? .. 100megs I think. Something like that...

Anyone else? ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back