Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost data again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick9999

Technical User
May 18, 2008
GB
Lost all diary and To Do list whilst Sidekick 98 was open. I closed Sidekick and didn't save any changes thinking it would restore all data from the previous day. It didn't work.
I tried to restore my weekly back up from an external drive but to no avail. I just kept getting no file available messages.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Dick

Dear Dick

You are the first person I have heard of who has had this situation happen to them, are you sure that the calendar files are NOT on a Network drive or a USB drive which has an intermittent connection?

Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Dear Jim

No, all files are on my computer with back up files on a Seagate external storage drive.

Dick

Dear Dick

Is there some backup program running and if so, exclude Sidekick data from the backup and do it manually WHEN SIDEKICK IS CLOSED.
Not all programs are able to be backed up when they are running and if forced to do so, data becomes corrupt or unavailable.
Those are the only thougts I have on that score, let me know if that method works.

You can usually set up a profile in a backup so that you can double-click an icon to backup when you have finished working in a program.

I used SecondCopy
for 15 years on both Calendar and Cardfile backups and did not lose any data. At times SecondCopy would put up a info box telling me that it had failed to backup a file because it was in use and that it would try again in 30 secs. This was because I was adding data at the time and Sidekick had locked the file. Once I stopped adding the data and the 30 secs were up it would succesfully perform the backup.

HTH

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back