Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost connection..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kujen

Technical User
Oct 13, 2007
SE
Hi all,

I have a server (Win2003)that sometimes loses connetion with the network without apparent reason.
Last time the server lost connection there were no activity on the server and after a restart connection where up and running again.
After a few weeks the problem comes back.

Can it something wrong with the network card?

Kent J.

I assume by "network" you mean - physical connection, and not just the inability to get to some resource.

If that's the case, it's most likely your server since a reboot/restart fixes the problem.

If it were a flaky switch port or a bad cable, that wouldn't normally fix anything (although sometimes disconnecting/reconneting a cable will make a swith port straighten up for a while).

Find a spare port on your local switch and move the cable connection. If the problem happens again it's problably your NIC.

dane77,

Thanks!

If I check my Eventviewer I find:

=================================
The Security System detected an authentication error for the server
DNS/dns1.MyDNS.se. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos
was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
==================================

The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter

with settings:
Adapter Name : {DDCD65F0-1AA7-4019-BBD2-F65CC8A7DA49}
Host Name : MyServer
Primary Domain Suffix : MyDns.se
DNS server list :
xx.xxx.xx.xx,xx.xxx.xx.xx
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :
xx.xxx.xx.xx
==================================

Kent J.

Status