Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Connection to the DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

acfv

MIS
May 19, 2005
US
Recent changes in the company I work for "designated" me as the new IT guy at the office. I have no real formal training and the bulk of my knowledge comes from books and the times when I used to help our former IT person troubleshoot problems, so please bear with me.

Recently we've been losing external connection to our Windows 2003 server. It is our Domain Controller and is also running Exchange 2003. Our remote users use RPC over HTTP or OWA to access their emails. The symptoms start with a remote Outlook running rpc/http losing it's connection. Likewise OWA gives me an error. Also, I can't directly connect to the DC via remote desktop from outside the network but I can rpc over to a Win2k3 File Server from outside and from there successfully rdc over to the DC. I can't ping the DC externally but I can ping it internally. From the DC I can ping other devices on our network but nothing on the outside. A restart of the DC fixes the problem temporarily for approx. 24 hrs and the problem comes up again.

The latest episode happened at around 7:30am this morning.
Event viewer error entries of note:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: KDC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11
Date: 8/12/2005
Time: 5:02:58 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DCServer
Description:
There are multiple accounts with name host/crm.xxx.local of type DS_SERVICE_PRINCIPAL_NAME.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6702
Date: 8/11/2005
Time: 5:08:15 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DCServer
Description:
DNS server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to ensure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

I'd appreciate it if anybody could point me as what the possible cause might be.

How many DNS servers are you running? First, I'd check to make sure your DNS replication is OK. Go to Administrative tools, open the DNS managment tool and check the DNS events for errors.

Next, check out this solution from Microsoft, but if you're not experienced you may want to get some help with this one:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back