Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost connection to network in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

camidon

Programmer
May 9, 2000
US
Okay, first, here is my setup.

4 computer netowrk. 8 port hub. Cable modem connection to internet and connected to hub via crossover cable. I have purchased an IP address for each computer. 3 of the computers were built by me, but the computer that I'm having a problem with is a Dell with a 3Com NIC running the latest drivers for XP.

Powersave is diabled for the NIC, so it shouldn't go to sleep and the default firewall is disabled in XP. For troubleshooting purposes, I don't have any firewall or Antivirus software installed on the machine. I have swapped ports on the hub with other workstations and they don't give the same symptoms so I don't believe it's the hub or my cable modem.

My problem is as follows:

I can maintain a connection to the internet MOST of the time. However, sometimes when I'm trying to connect to my computer from work, via a VNC connection it will not allow me to connect as if the computer were not connected to the network. I also can't ping the address associated with my computer, but I CAN ping the other computers on the other side of the cable modem. Since I can ping the other computers, I know the problem is not my internet connection being dropped. If I'm LUCKY, the computer will do something to try to grab a network connection and I will be able to get connected again.

Any ideas on this one at all?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

What OS are you running on the Dell? If it is XP there is an auto disconnect setting for the network connection of 15 minutes of inactivity. That is probably why your connection is dropping.

You can edit the registry to set a longer time.

H_key_Local_Machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.

Change the value for "auotdisconnect" Use the decimal setting, to a time period to make it to the next day, like 720 (12 hours)

Be sure to set a restore point before you edit, incase you have a problem.

Tried this. Bumped it up to 720 like suggested. It's still dropping connections. It is running XP pro.

Also, it looks like applications running on the machine seem to continue working when my pings start timing out. In other words, it's letting packets out, but not in.

Thanks for the help troubleshooting this troublesome problem.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back