Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost communication with logon point

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrunnqu

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
In our single site, the site server has lost communication with one the bdc logon points. The error that appears in the site status is as follows: (replaced server name and domain name)

SMS NT Logon Server Manager failed to find a suitable drive on domain controller "servername" for domain "domainname" to hold the "SMSLOGON" directory.

Possible cause: Every NTFS drive on the domain controller has less than 50 MB of free disk space.
Solution: Either free up enough space on an NTFS drive or manually create the "SMSLOGON" directory on the root directory of an NTFS drive and share it out as "SMSLOGON". If you manually create the directory, it might have less than 50 MB of free disk space.

followed by this warning:

SMS NT Logon Server Manager failed to complete all of the configuration tasks on domain controller "servername" for domain "domainname". These tasks include:

1. Assigning the SMS Logon Point role to the site system "\\servername".
2. Modifying the user logon scripts, if instructed to do so by the configuration of the Windows Networking Logon Discovery and Client Installation methods.
3. Creating and updating the "SMSLOGON" share and the directories and files associated with it.
4. Installing the SMS_NT_LOGON_DISCOVERY_AGENT service.

Checking on the site system status, I have a critical warning on the \\server name\smslogon

Using SMS Service Manager, I cannot query
SMS_NT_LOGON_DISCOVERY_AGENT
I get an "error communicating with component"
I can query other logon points

The server with the smslogon share has plenty of space.
I can see the share, open folders, ect. I have looked at the logs on the smslogon share and do not see anything that pertains to this issue.

Stumped at this time and appreciate any insights or direction.
Thanks

Check to see if the domain controller has it's admin shares - Admin$, C$, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back